James B. Haynes
Commercial Real Estate Acquisitions, Financing, Sales and Leasing | Retail and Shopping Center Development | Residential, Multi-Family and Mixed-Use Development | 1031 Like-Kind Exchanges | LLC’s, Partnerships and Joint Ventures
Mr. Haynes focuses his practice primarily in the firm’s commercial real estate group, representing and advising clients in the assemblage, acquisition, disposition, financing, leasing and development of commercial real estate, including multi-family housing, retail, hospitality, industrial centers, office and undeveloped tracts. He advises his clients through all phases of a transaction – from the letter of intent and contract phase through due diligence, financing and closing, and also regularly provides counsel on entity formation, joint ventures and corporate governance matters. In addition to his commercial real estate practice, Jimmy also has experience representing clients in connection with land use and zoning matters.
Jimmy also represents real estate developers and builders with respect to planned unit, condominium and mixed-use developments, as well as drafting and negotiating development, management and construction agreements. In this capacity, Jimmy regularly prepares the legal infrastructure for residential communities and retail developments, which include property owners’ association documents, declarations of restrictive covenants and easements, and condominium declarations.
- Represented a private real estate company in the disposition of a portfolio of multi-family apartment complexes in Little Rock, Arkansas for $75,000,000.
- Represented a regional developer with the land assemblage, entitlement and development of a 288 unit multi-family apartment project financed by a construction loan of $17,000,000.
- Regularly assists the corporate group with real estate matters ancillary to complex mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented a private real estate company in the purchase of a $24,000,000 multi-family apartment complex in Texas financed through a Freddie Mac CME loan.
- Counsel to a local developer in connection with real estate matters related to Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (“LIHTC”) deals in North Carolina, including, without limitation, matters before zoning commissions, planning boards and elected boards.
- Prepared a form office lease for an owner of a downtown Greensboro office building, as landlord, and handles negotiations of the office lease for each tenant.
- Assists and advises clients with regard to transactions involving 1031 like-kind exchanges.
- Represents owners, developers and tenants with respect to build-to-suit leases.